Tuesday, August 16, 2005

The More Things Change the More They Stay the Same

Like most people who’ve ever flown on an airplane, you may have looked at the Flight Attendants with a mixture of awe, maybe even envy. They travel the world for free, often at a moment’s notice. They seem to know the best places to go for shopping, dining, drinking or clubbing. They bring the latest and greatest home from their trips, showing over the new hip items to their friends and family. Maybe you secretly wish that you were a Flight Attendant, too.

Or, you may have looked at the Flight Attendants and thought that the average age of the crew onboard the plane seems to be getting older with each passing flight. You wonder what ever happened to the weight restrictions and grooming standards of days gone by. Or what happened to smiles, mild flirtation, and gracious service standards. (Of course you think all this while paying less for your ticket than ten years ago, perfectly content with the fact that everything seems to have gone up in price except the cost of airfare.)

Well I’m here to tell you that the job is what you make of it. There are some things in our industry that I just can’t change: the price of fuel, the lunacy of top management in the industry, concessionary labor contracts, air rage, outsourcing, downsizing, elimination of pensions, company bankruptcy and personal health risks.

But what I can change is my attitude toward these things. I work hard to fight for the gains we’ve made in our business, and to keep my workplace safe and my co-workers secure. I take care of myself to prevent fatigue and preserve my health, and sure, so that I can fit into those low, tight jeans and turn a few heads when I’m out walking about. After all, a girl’s just gotta have energy for a layover!

No comments: