Sunday, September 17, 2006

Charges to Charge

I came across this information a couple months ago, and forgot to post about it.

It seems that some of the international carriers intend to add on a service charge for passengers who choose to purchase tickets by using a credit card. Air France and KLM are apparently leading the way with this idea, and others are likely to follow right behind them.

So just how in the hell are you supposed to pay for your ticket?

You pay more if you need to actually talk to a person, so people are making travel plans online. If you're making travel plans online, you're going to need to use a credit card and pay more for that. Here's a happy note to all of this: no additional charge if you're doing a wire transfer. Whoopppeee!

Next concept is that the fees will only be added on to the rock bottom priced economy fares. OK, I guess those prices aren't so rock bottom after all.

Yes, I realize that credit card companies charge fees to the airlines for using that service. But when virtually every way a passenger has to pay for tickets comes with an extra charge, it seems like there's a very simple answer ----

Raise the price of the ticket to fairly reflect the cost! That let's everyone know right up front what travel is going to cost. Aren't you sick of finding a great price, only to have it become not so great after all the add-on fees are included?

But hey -- that's just me!

Via IAG

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I understand that it sounds weird since credit cards are so common in the US, but you should know that they're much less used in Europe.

At least in the Netherlands, the easiest method to purchase tickets (or anything)online is by paying directly with your ATM card. Almost everybody has a special calculator allowing you to digitally sign the orders online (it looks like this: http://ridderbusch.name/frank/images/rabo-random-thumb.jpg)

So, it's not very strange that KLM/AirFrance are taking this move.

Fly Girl said...

VERY GOOD information, anonymous, and thanks for sharing.

We here in the US get very used to using our credit card for everything. It offers far more protection than using an ATM card. I guess we'll need to start looking at things a little differently.

I wonder -- is it easy (and cost efficient) for me to use my US ATM card when traveling in Europe?

Anonymous said...

I was so excited to come across your blog this afternoon! I stumbled upon it accidentally while searching Google for flight attendant Halloween costumes, haha.

Anyway, I am 21 year old college student majoring in hospitality & tourism management. My passion is travel and always being on the go. I love the atmosphere of an airport and flying. Whenever anyone asks me what I want to do after graduation, the only job that truly gets me excited is being a flight attendant or some other career in the airline industry. I hate to bother flight attendants with questions about their job while they are busy working, so I was just wondering what your thoughts are. Do you love what you do? Do you see yourself in this position in 10-15 years? I think my parents would kill me if I told them I was going after the career of a flight attendant, but it has always been something I've been fascinated by. Any thoughts you might have would be appreciated. I saw your post about people envying your job, and I guess I fall into that category. I have a great deal of respect for what you do and really appreciate those of you who go out of your way for the passengers. :)

Fly Girl said...

I've been flying for a number of years, and I still enjoy what I do. Oh sure, there are bad trips and bad days, but you can't look at any job (or situation) in isolation.

A college degree will definitely give you a leg up in the process. Thre are lot of people interviewing for every vacancy, and education is important.

Don't worry what your parents think. Or anyone else, for that matter. Follow your heart. That's the only way to happiness.

Flygirl said...

I couldn't agree more Fly girl...No hidden charges!

Anonymous said...

Hi - good blog - thanks for the effort you put into keeping it up.

You might be interested in the collection of airline and airport movies and TV shows I've pulled together at http://kburgin.typepad.com/funny_airline_airport_vid/

All the best from Sydney - Ken

Anonymous said...

"Hi Friends..

Has anyone been on holiday recently or anyone going on holiday in the near future.. if so please log your experience...

""do the right thing and inform others of your experience""

<<<< Share your videos and earn money >>>>
on http://www.hotelly.com/Search/VideoUpload/6.aspx"